If you are as busy as my family in the morning, you know how much of a headache it is to get an excellent fast, healthy breakfast option. Scrolling through youtube, I found the freezer meal trend and discovered its genius. I started experimenting and found the right recipe for my family for easy breakfast burritos.
- 1 Pack of Italian Sausage
- 1 Bag of Mini Red Potatoes
- 3 Green Onions Stalks
- 1 Half of Yellow Onion
- 1 Half of Red Onion
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Whole Orange Pepper
- 1 Whole Green Pepper
- 1 Whole Yellow Pepper
- Black Pepper
- 1 Bag of Spinach
- 1 Dozen of Eggs
- Cheese (Optional)
- Flour tortillas
- Sautee a quarter of all the onions, peppers, and garlic with all the sausage in a pan. Then set it aside and Make sure to drain excess juices.
- In the same pan, saute half the onions, peppers, and garlic with all the potatoes. Then set that aside and make sure to drain excess juices.
- In another pan, saute the rest of the vegetables, including the spinach; when slightly sauteed, pour the eggs over. Cook until the eggs aren't runny. Then set aside
- Now all that is left is to assemble everything in the burrito. You can start with the tortilla, cheese, potatoes, meat, and eggs. So when you reheat the meat fat cooks into the potatoes.
- For those who don't like cheese in the breakfast burrito, you can start by spreading butter on the tortilla, potatoes, meat, and eggs.
- Wrap the burrito in aluminum foil and add it to a freezer-safe ziplock bag. It is edible for three months in the freezer.
- Grab one in the morning, put it in the oven for a few minutes, then eat.
There are various options and things you can change with this recipe. When cooked again, you can change the sausage to bacon or any other meat with excess fat. You can cook the meat without the vegetables and pat it dry before assembling. You can season the meat and potatoes with all the seasonings and only use salt & pepper for the eggs. You can add the seasonings and toss them into the cheese before assembling. You can add ground red pepper as a seasoning to spice it up or add jalapenos in the assembling stage to spice it up.
The key things to consider when making the breakfast burrito is that you have fat being used, the potatoes should be soft before assembled but not burnt, and double protein is optional. It is best to use pork meat for the fat it has; if you use turkey sausage, you need a fatty oil or fat food to be used as well. Just turkey sausage doesn't taste good in the burrito; it tends to be plainer after reheating. Since you use the oven if the potatoes or meat is too well done, it is easy to burn when reheating. You want to cook everything but the eggs to just cooked or browned. You don't have to use eggs and breakfast meat. You can sautee the spinach and add it to the burrito, but you have to pat it down. Putting the spinach makes it easier to reheat the green in there. Otherwise, it becomes a wet mess.
Using this recipe, I was able to make 20 breakfast burritos. You can always lessen the amounts to create the perfect amount for your family. I hope you enjoy this recipe.