It is Winter, and we all know it is soup weather. However, I like to make Chicken Pot Pies to break up the soup. I usually make the mini version so I can eat some for a week and the rest in the freezer for grabbing some for a quick lunch.
Mini Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
- 1 1/4 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Unsalted Butter
- 4 Tablespoons of Ice Water
- Pulse several times in a Blender(or Food Processor) to combine dry ingredients.
- Add one stick of cold unsalted butter and cut it into small pieces. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal
- Add 4 Tablespoons of Ice Water(Martha's recipe says 2 Tablespoons, but four works better for me); pulse until dough is crumbly but holds when squeezed.
- Put the dough on a work surface and knead once or twice until the dough combines. Flatten dough and wrap in plastic, then put in the refrigerator for 1 hr.
- Roll the dough out and use your hands to put it in a buttered cupcake pan. Cover each cupcake hole and cut extra, so each dough doesn't touch.
- Put the cupcake pan in the refrigerator for at least 1 hr and only take it out when ready to add fillings and bake.
I like to make Martha Stewart's pie crust, but you can easily use the biscuits from cans. You can also use the bought pie crust or puff pastry. I used the biscuits from the cans when I didn't feel like making the pie crust before, which was fantastic. However, the best way is with Ms. Martha Stewart Pie Crust.
You can also make 2 Pie crusts, 1 to put in the cupcake pan and 1 to top them if you like having tops. In my family, it depends on everyone's mood.
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Chopped Onion (Yellow)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Green Onions
- 1/3 All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 3/4 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2.5 Cup Cooled Shredded Chicken
- 2 Cup Frozen Vegetables
- Pre-Heat Oven to 350 F
- Grab Oiled Pan for the Stove
- Cook Chicken with Green Onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and frozen vegetables
- Once cooked, cut up chicken as much as desired and put aside in a bowl
- Grab another pan and melt the butter
- Add onions to sauté
- Then whisk in flour, salt, and pepper
- Add in Milk and Broth until the mixture is thick
- Then add cooked chicken and vegetables
- Remove from heat and grab the cupcake pan out of the refrigerator
- Then pour the mixture into crusts
- Add tops if you made 2nd pie crust
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes
- If you added a top during the last 15 -20 minutes, cover it with foil; it helps keep the juices and not burn the top
For the filling, my favorite is to do frozen green peas and green beans. However, you could easily grab the vegetable melody to add. I have also done bell peppers, green beans, and carrots in a batch before. It is always about your and your family's preference. Change it up any way you like. A recipe is just the starting point.
I hope you enjoy the recipe.
*In all my recipes, regular milk can be used, but I use Cashew Milk. Cashew Milk is used because some family members are allergic to Coconut and have difficulty digesting Cow Milk.